Food in the Ancient World
John M. Wilkins, Shaun Hill
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Publish Year note: First published February 3rd 2006
In Food in the Ancient World, a respected classicist and a practising world-class chef explore a millennium of eating and drinking.
• Explores a millennium of food consumption, from c.750 BC to 200 AD.
• Shows the pivotal role food had in a world where it was linked with morality and the social order.
• Concerns people from all walks of life – impoverished citizens subsisting on cereals to the meat-eating elites.
• Describes religious sacrifices, ancient dinner parties and drinking bouts, as well as exotic foods and recipes.
• Considers the role of food in ancient literature from Homer to Juvenal and Petronius.