Beginning Java 8 Games Development
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Beginning Java 8 Games Development, written by Java expert and author Wallace Jackson, teaches you the fundamentals of building a highly illustrative game using the Java 8 programming language. In this book, you'll employ open source software as tools to help you quickly and efficiently build your Java game applications. You'll learn how to utilize vector and bit-wise graphics; create sprites and sprite animations; handle events; process inputs; create and insert multimedia and audio files; and more.
Furthermore, you'll learn about JavaFX 8, now integrated into Java 8 and which gives you additional APIs that will make your game application more fun and dynamic as well as give it a smaller foot-print; so, your game application can run on your PC, mobile and embedded devices.
After reading and using this tutorial, you'll come away with a cool Java-based 2D game application template that you can re-use and apply to your own game making ambitions or for fun.
What you’ll learn
- How to develop games using Java 8
- How to employ vector-based graphics or bitmap graphics
- How to create your 2D game sprites
- How to animate those game sprites
- How to handle events to process player input
- How to optimize and implement digital audio assets
Who this book is for
This book is for game developers with little experience using Java, little experience in developing games, or both.
Table of Contents
1. Setting Up a Java 8 Game Development Environment
2. Setting Up Your Java 8 IDE
3. A Java 8 Primer
4. An Introduction to JavaFX 8
5. An Introduction to Game Design
6. The Foundation of Game Design
7. The Foundation of Game Play Loop
8. Creating Your Actor Engine
9. Controlling Your Action Figure
10. Directing the Cast of Actors
11. Moving Your Action Figure in 2D
12. Setting Boundaries for Your Action Figure in 2D
13. Animating Your Action Figure States
14. Setting Up the Game Environment
15. Implementing Game Audio Assets
16. Collision Detection
17. Enhancing Game Play