Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
To respond to the increasing need to feed the world's population as well as an ever greater demand for a balanced and healthy diet there is a continuing need to produce improved new cultivars or varieties of plants, particularly crop plants. The strategies used to produce these are increasingly based on our knowledge of relevant science, particularly genetics, but involves a multidisciplinary understanding that optimizes the approaches taken.
Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding, 2nd Edition introduces both classical and molecular tools for plant breeding. Topics such as biotechnology in plant breeding, intellectual property, risks, emerging concepts (decentralized breeding, organic breeding), and more are addressed in the new, updated edition of this text. Industry highlight boxes are included throughout the text to contextualize the information given through the professional experiences of plant breeders. The final chapters provide a useful reference on breeding the largest and most common crops.
- Up-to-date edition of this bestselling book incorporating the most recent technologies in the field
- Combines both theory and practice in modern plant breeding
- Updated industry highlights help to illustrate the concepts outlined in the text
- Self assessment questions at the end of each chapter aid student learning
- Accompanying website with artwork from the book available to instructors